Dear Spirit of Math Contest Participants,
February 25th, 2022 is just a few days away! In order to be well prepared, please read this announcement carefully to ensure you have all the information you need before the contest day.
Summary of what you will find in this announcement:
- Date and hours of the contest
- Format of Online contest
- Duration of each contest
- Contest rules
- Results and certifications
- Customer support
Date and hours of the contest:
- The contest will be held online on February 25th, 2022 from 12:00 am to 11:59 pm Eastern Standard Time (EST). Students can write the contest anytime during this time period that meet their schedule.
- Students currently registered in Spirit of Math from Grades 1 – 4 will write the contest during the class time on the week of Lesson 24.
Format of Online contest:
- The format of the contest is online. No paper copy of the contest will be distributed unless you are writing the contest in-person during class time.
- Students not in Spirit of Math classes use the following link to login: https://spiritofmath.brightspace.com/d2l/local
- Spirit of Math students in grades 1 to 6 and 9-11 enrolled in the 39-week program can access the contest here: https://spiritofmath.brightspace.com/
- Please note that Spirit of Math students in grades 1-4 will write the contest during the class time on the week of Lesson 24. If the class is in-person, students will write the paper version of the contests. If the class is online, students will be able to find the online contest in their respective class course on Brightspace.
- The Spirit of Math learning management system, Brightspace, will be used to administer the contest online for both internal and external students.
- Students not in Spirit of Math classes will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org on February 21st, 2022
- If by error, you are registered or placed in an incorrect contest grade, please email: email@example.com
- All participants will be added to the online course on Brightspace on February 21st, 2022.
- Ensure you are enrolled in the correct grade that you registered for before the contest day
- Every effort has been made to ensure the online contest process is as smooth, fair, and secure as possible. However, we do not guarantee continuous, uninterrupted access to the online contest and we take no responsibility for technical issues beyond our control.
- No contest may be submitted past February 25, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. EST for any reason.
- Monday, February 21st 2022: login information sent from Brightspace
Duration of each contest:
- Grade 1-2: 20 questions in 30 minutes
- Grade 3-4: 30 questions in 45 minutes
- Grade 5-6: 40 questions in 60 minutes
- Grade 9-12: 20 questions in 120 minutes
- The contest is multiple-choice with four choices as answers to each question.
- For Grades 1-6, each question answered correctly is worth one mark, and the sum of the correct answers is the score.
- For Grades 9-12, the contest consists of 3 parts: part A with 5 questions each worth 1 point, part B with 5 questions each worth 2 points, and part C with 10 questions each worth 3 points.
- Marks are not taken off for wrong answers.
- No calculators or other counting tools are allowed for Grades 1 to 6.
- For Grades 9 to 12, calculating devices are allowed, provided that they do not have internet access, the ability to communicate with other devices, information previously stored by students, computer algebra system and graphing tool.
- All participants will have only one attempt to complete the contest.
- All participants should start the contest at least one hour before closing time to avoid technical difficulties and submission issues.
- All participants must answer all the questions online.
- No one is permitted to provide hints or explain the questions to participants. If possible, parents, guardians, and/or siblings should leave the room where a participant is writing the contest for the entire duration.
- Parents or guardians are only allowed to read out the questions to grade 1 and 2 participants, if needed.
Results and certifications:
- The contest will be automatically marked by the online platform, Brightspace.
- The results and the full solution of the contest will be posted within the same online course on February 28th, 2022. Please log into your online course and follow the instructions on how to view your results and review the full solution.
- Participants who scored 80% or above will receive an honour roll digital badge in their emails which can be shared.
For non-technical inquiries or other questions, contact your nearest campus. Our office hours are from 9:00 am – 5:00 pm within the respective time zone.
If you are enrolled in the incorrect grade, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours: 9:00 am to 5:00 pm EST
Practice resources can be found in our practice centre, located at: https://practice.spiritofmathcontest.com/